USC Canada seeks to build food sovereignty by working with partners to enhance biodiversity, promote ecological food systems, and counter inequity.
Why USC Canada
USC Canada is a charitable organization founded in 1945 rooted in the notions of human dignity and equality. Our mission is to build food sovereignty by working with partners to enhance biodiversity, promote ecological agriculture, and counter inequity. Our work is premised on a belief that poverty, inequality and hunger are created, rather than inherent, and we work to strengthen the agency and rights of those most affected by systemic barriers. In particular, we emphasize the rights and interests of women and youth to break down the structures that have marginalized and oppressed them throughout history.
Food systems touch every aspect of society, and are a powerful vehicle to address inequity in all its forms: human rights, gender disparity, hunger, poverty, environmental degradation, and climate change. We believe that through positive change in the food system, we can affect change across broader society, fostering a world with more justice, equality, and peace.
USC Canada is an equity opportunity employer that encourages Indigenous people, members of the LGBTQ2S+ community, racialized folks, people of all genders and abilities, and members of other under-represented communities to apply.
Under the supervision of the Director of International Programs, the Program Officer (PO) will support the Latin American Regional Program Manager (PM) in all stages of the Seeds of Survival (SoS) program cycle, including planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting. In addition, the PO will support the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Manager with data entry and analysis. The PO also has important inter-team liaison and communications functions, helping the Director and Managers stay abreast of new developments in the food security and food sovereignty field, share information, and coordinate within the team. This liaison role also extends to ensuring solid communication between the SoS team and other USC Canada teams. Finally, the PO will undertake coordination, translation and logistical responsibilities related to staff and partner travel, accommodation and SoS events. The position is based in Ottawa but may require international and domestic travel from time to time.
Key elements of the work include:
● Program Operations:
- Support Program Manager with narrative and financial reporting
- Compile and disseminate information on program results and evaluation findings across program and communication teams;
- Support Program Manager with proposal development;
- Offer project support to PM as/when appropriate;
● Administration, Data Management, Documentation, and Logistics:
- Help PM with travel arrangements, logistics and special events planning such as partner exchange visits;
- Support MEL Manager with data entry and database management;
- Support documentation of program lessons learned and compile case studies in support of communication stories;
- Organize International Program team electronic and paper files;
- Undertake English-Spanish translation and translation review work as needed.
● Other tasks as requested by the Director of International Programs
Who We Are Looking For
The ideal Program Officer will have the following demonstrated skills and experience:
- A relevant educational degree and/or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Minimum of two years paid employment experience or relevant program and volunteer experience in the global South;
- Practical knowledge of sustainable agriculture, community-based resource management, food security/sovereignty and/or related topics;
- Strong familiarity with program monitoring, evaluation, results-based management theory and practice, logical framework analysis and database systems;
- Solid understanding of gender equity and women’s equality strategy and analysis;
- Excellent cross-cultural and interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to communicate clearly with people of different cultures and within diverse contexts;
- Commitment to and enjoyment of collaborative management styles and team work;
- Ability to organize a demanding, responsive multi-task workload and discern priorities;
- Willingness and ability to take initiative and remain flexible;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Spanish (Essential). A working knowledge of French is an asset;
- Computer literacy; excel, word processing and spreadsheets;
- Must be available and willing to travel internationally and within Canada from time to time.
The position is full-time for 10 months, based at USC Canada’s office in Ottawa. The Program Officer will report to the Director of International Programs, and receive guidance and direction from the International Programs Team. USC Canada offers a comprehensive benefits package and competitive salary. This is a unionized position.
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.
How to Apply
Apply by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org Specify: Program Officer, in the subject of the email.
Please include your curriculum vitae with recent references, and a one-page reflection on the following question:
How you would approach your role in this dynamic cross-cultural work environment with ever changing tasks and requests, and how does your previous work and volunteer experiences relate to this position?
Applications must be received by August 2nd, 5pm EST, 2019. Interviews will take place August 12th and 13th in Ottawa.
We appreciate all applications, but only those shortlisted will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit usc-canada.org.