Horizons of Friendship empowers people and strengthens communities to eliminate poverty and injustice across Central America & Mexico.
Reports to: Executive Director
Liaises with: Consultants, partners, institutional funders and Horizons’ staff
Location Cobourg, Ontario
Probationary Period 3 months
Term Full-time staff position, two-year contract, renewable if institutional funding permits
Salary Salary range $ 49,933 to $59,919 commensurate with experience (plus benefit package)
Horizons of Friendship is a Canadian non-profit, international development agency committed to eliminating the root causes of poverty and injustice through the cooperation of people from the South and the North.
Horizons of Friendship supports Central American and Mexican partner organizations that undertake local initiatives, which further this goal.
In Canada, we raise awareness on global issues and work with Canadian organizations at the local and national levels to bring about positive and lasting changes.
Under the direction of the Executive Director, and in coordination with programming team, the incumbent is responsible for ensuring sustainable revenues and continued growth of Horizons of Friendship’s programs by developing and implementing fundraising strategies with a diverse group of funders such as foundations, institutional funders and government agencies.
Responsibilities Resource Development
- Take the lead in maintaining existing foundations/institutional
- Prepare project proposals and reports for foundations, and other institutional donors including budgets and financial
- Liaise with program team to gather relevant information for proposals and/or
- Researching, identifying and initiating relationships with new foundations and other institutional funders in order to support partner’s
- Provide support to programming staff, identify, apply, and access government
- Maintain and foster relationships with existing and new foundations/institutional supporters through effective stewardship and regular contact and
- Take the lead in organizing meetings and preparing agendas in all aspects related with program
- Monitor progress towards targets and contribute to the regular evaluation of resource development activities; maintain chart with application and reporting
- Support the Executive Director to maintain timely communications and on-going relations with
- Contribute with written articles to
- Contribute as needed in the production of communication materials for website, press releases and other
- Help meet the objectives of Horizons of Friendship as expressed in its Statement of Purpose and strategic
- Participate in other meetings as
- University degree in a field relevant to the position
- At least two years of experience in fundraising for a non-for profit organization
- Excellent organizational, project, financial and time management skills
- Excellent creative writing and verbal skills in English
- Knowledge of Spanish as a second language, a strong asset
- Excellent computer skills in word processing, competence using spreadsheets, Microsoft Publisher, Windows environment
- Demonstrated capacity in critical thinking and complex problem solving; displays good judgment
- A “people person” and comfortable with public speaking
- A team player with a proven ability to work both independently and as part of a multicultural team
- Demonstrated knowledge of international development and the Mesoamerican region
- Knowledge, commitment and understanding to social justice
- Courses or certificates in fundraising considered an asset
- Available to travel within Canada and overseas as needed
- Eligible to work in Canada (permanent resident or Canadian citizen)
Qualified candidates are invited to direct their applications to Patricia Rebolledo, Executive Director by October 11, 2019
Applications may be sent by mail, email, or fax: Horizons of Friendship
50 Covert Street, P. O. Box 402 Cobourg, ON K9A 4L1
E-mail: email@example.com Fax: 905-372-7095
For more information on Horizons of Friendship, see our website at www.horizons.ca
We thank all those who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org