CDF Canada is an international development organization building prosperity in communities around the world. We work with local partners in Africa, Asia and Latin America to establish and grow community-owned co-operatives to help people achieve more prosperous, self-reliant lives.
Start Date: January 2020 -June 2020 (exact timing will be negotiated with the successful candidate)
Duration: 6 months minimum (exact duration will be negotiated with the successful candidate)
Language Requirement: English
INVEST Co-op Indonesia project is part of a four-year (2015-2019) multi-country Project bringing sustainable economic growth to women and men small producers through the Integrated Co-operative Model. The Project is funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC) with contribution from the Co-operative Development Foundation of Canada (CDF Canada). In Indonesia, INVEST Co-op is introducing aquaculture practices that are resilient to climate change and increase quality and yield of production. Support is also being provided to farmers to improve access to financial services and markets through their co-operatives. By training the co-operatives in the seven basic principles (in alignment with the International Co-operative Alliance ICA), the project aims to enable co-operatives to be profitable, sustainable, and to run gender-equitable businesses by strengthening their institutional capacity to serve their members better. Aquaculture microinsurance will also be developed to protect the farmers against financial impact of losses due to weather disturbances. Activities will promote collaboration with governments, private companies, business associations, research institutions, and other stakeholders to strengthen networks and create a conducive environment.
Kospermindo is a co-operative enterprise established in 1999 with a vision to become the prominent trade centre for seaweed in the world. It began providing coaching and training to their seaweed farmers with an industrial cluster approach in 2002 and now operates in 12 locations throughout South Sulawesi, one location in Central Sulawesi, and one location in East Kalimantan. Kospermindo is the first organization authorized by the Ministry of Trade’s Commodity Futures Trading Regulatory Agency (CoFTRA) to implement a warehouse receipt system for seaweed commodity in Indonesia.
PT Asuransi Central Asia and is one of the five most important Indonesian insurance agencies, with 36 branch office and 34 representative offices around Indonesia. It has a branch office in Makassar and one of the leaders in developing microinsurance products in the country.
Your Role and the Assignment in Brief
As a volunteer, you will be working in close coordination with ACA Asuransi. You will be based in ACA Asuransi office, located in Jakarta, the capital city of Indonesia. Jakarta is the largest city and is the center of economy, culture and politics in the country. Travel to Makassar, South Sulawesi is also expected.
Terms of Reference for this position are:
- The volunteer is expected to provide technical support in piloting an aquaculture microinsurance for aquaculture farmers in collaboration with local partners and specialized microinsurance experts,
- Work with local partners and actuarial consultant to conduct initial analysis and collect consumer insights for developing of new products in Indonesia
- Collaborate with microinsurance expert and ACA Asuransi in developing and designing the aquaculture microinsurance product.
- Coordinate activities towards the establishment of an appropriate distribution platform.
- Provide technical support in developing and implementing training programs for microinsurance distributors and agents, ensuring that the product is promoted through channels that are most effective for smallholder aquaculture producers.
- Provide technical and capacity building support to ACA Asuransi on effectively managing the delivery of the Microinsurance product through, e.g. electronic/digital technology platform, produces’ associations and cooperatives, as well as collecting premiums and managing payouts.
- Participate as member of CDF Invest team in meetings and field activities as required.
- Organize routine meetings and/or calls of the Invest microinsurance team members including representatives from CDF-Canada and local partners.
- Monitor progress on the task outline in workplan.
- Report any anticipated or actual delays and problems to Manager.
- Provide reports to the Manager on tasks accomplished, lessons learned, and challenges encountered, including key indicators determined by the local and HQ ME&E Staff
- Previous experience in insurance market and industry analysis
- Higher education degree in insurance, marketing or relevant field
- Creative thinker with data-driven analytical aptitude
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Understanding and/or interest of the socio-economic context in Asia
Terms and Conditions
This is a voluntary assignment. CDF Canada supports volunteers through the provision of a comprehensive package designed to cover a modest and healthy lifestyle, while allowing for effectiveness in the placement:
- Return international and domestic airfare
- Ground transportation
- Meal and incidental allowance
- Visa-related costs (if needed)
- Travel insurance
- Vaccination-related costs (if needed)
- Dedicated interpreter/translator (if needed and depending on the position and duration of the assignment)
- Pre-departure support and orientation
- Support and orientation during the assignment
- Debriefing upon competition of assignment
Depending on the nature of the placement, volunteers are encouraged to provide e-volunteering support to our local partners or CDF Canada before or after their placement. Volunteers also have the option of requesting support from an e-volunteer to help them with their work while they are in placement.
CDF Canada provides technical and logistical support to young and experienced professional through volunteer assignments to apply and gain new skills and knowledge in international co-operative development. We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement duration, to share her/his experience during and/or upon completion of their assignment either in the country of assignment and in Canada. Experience may be shared through providing human interest stories and photographs that can be used for social media outreach; participating in organized talks at universities or other public engagement activities to share and tell their experiences to motivate others.
Please submit a resume and letter to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before the 16th of December, 2019. You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. Successful candidates will be required to obtain a police-check from their local police police/RCMP detachment. All applicants are thanked for their interest in CDF Canada; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com