We are a Canadian charity uniquely focused on using radio to strengthen African farming communities.
Position title: Management Accounting Specialist
Position location: Ottawa
Reports to: Finance Manager (Ottawa)
Contract term: Full-time 2 year contract, possibility of renewal
Deadline to apply: February 24th, 2019
Nature and Scope:
The Management Accounting Specialist (MAS) position will be based in Ottawa with regular communication and coordination with colleagues in Canada and overseas and the potential for travel overseas.
We seek candidates who are well versed in all aspects of financial management of projects and that possess strong analytical, cost accounting, budgeting and financial reporting skills within the field of international development. The candidate must be a self-starter, results-oriented, and enjoy working as part of a team.
This position reports to the Finance Manager (Ottawa). The MAS will provide a wide range of supports for the financial administration of project activities, financial management of the Cost Centres and Program Development work. The MAS will manage all Specialty Team-related cost and revenue accounting, assist the Program Development Team in preparation of budgets for new proposals, and assist the Finance Manager with coordination of annual budget, monthly and annual financial statements.
- Assist the Finance Manager in performing month-end and year-end closings through profit and loss accounts analysis for the assessment of Cost Centres’ financial performance and some balance sheet account reconciliations. .
Cost Accounting and Financial Projections:
- Complete annual budgets for all Cost Centres with monthly targets. Build and maintain a finance monitoring and reporting system for Cost Centres. Help management monitor Cost Centres budgets by providing Budget versus Actual reports on a monthly basis;
- Provide support to the program development team through preparation of budgets for new proposals, training and orientations to proposal developers, development and maintenance of a proposal budget guide for staff in Ottawa and Country offices;
- Assist the Finance Manager in the production of the annual budget and periodic forecasting.
Financial Monitoring of Overseas Projects:
- Perform financial analysis, prepare donor financial reports that are comprehensive and meet all requirements specified by the donor;
- Travel to field office, if needed, to train staff and to provide assistance with overseas financial procedures.
- Assist the Finance Manager in preparing detailed project working papers and year-end reconciliation of project accounts;
- Help support audits commissioned by donor agencies in Ottawa and overseas including monitoring visits.
- Ensure that all internal controls, GAAP and CRA regulations are followed in the financial administration processes.
- Provide regular variance analysis of Cost Centres budgets, and offer recommendations for possible improved courses of action to support effective management and growth of Specialty Teams.
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- University degree in Finance, Accounting, or a related field; experience deemed to be equivalent to this requirement may be acceptable;
- CPA/CMA/CGA or equivalent preferred;
- A minimum of seven(7) years of experience in cost accounting/corporate accounting, and project accounting with international operations;
- Proficiency in computer skills, spread sheets (Excel), accounting packages (QuickBooks), and communications packages (MS Word, and Power Point);
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains will be a definite asset;
- Strong analytical, communication and problem solving skills; capacity to identify and articulate potential problems and provide possible solutions in a concise and clear manner;
- High level of written and verbal communication skills in English and French (bilingualism essential).
Farm Radio International is the only international non-profit organization dedicated
exclusively to serving African farming families and rural communities through the innovative
use of radio and mobile phones.
We always work through existing local radio stations. Our network currently includes more
than 650 radio partners across 40 sub-Saharan African countries. Building the capacity
of these stations and their local stakeholders is central to our approach to building viable
communication platforms for long-term sustainable development.
We have seven offices in sub-Saharan Africa and run major projects in Burkina Faso,
Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mali, Mozambique, Niger, Tanzania, and Uganda. And we
have worked with funders and partners such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, CABI,
Global Affairs Canada, the International Development Research Centre, the International
Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, Irish Aid, USAID, and the World Food Programme.
Together with our broadcasting and project partners, we reach tens of millions of small-
scale farmers with life-changing information and enable them to have a stronger voice in
their own development.
FRI is an equal opportunity employer. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
If you wish to apply for this position, please follow this link to register on WUSC’s candidate database.
No telephone calls please.
To apply for this job please visit curaweb.mindscope.com.