The Inter-Council Network is a coalition of the eight Provincial and Regional Councils for International Cooperation, committed to global social justice and social change.
The Inter-Council Network (ICN) is a coalition of the eight Provincial and Regional Councils for International Cooperation. These independent member-based Councils are committed to global social justice and social change, and represent nearly 400 diverse civil society organizations (CSOs) from across Canada. The ICN provides a national forum in which the Councils collaborate for improved effectiveness and identify common priorities for collective action. Rooted in communities across Canada, we are leaders in public engagement at a local and regional level, and are recognized for bringing regional knowledge and priorities to the national level.
As part of the ICN, the Manitoba Council for International Cooperation (MCIC) supports, connects, and amplifies the work of our members and partners, directly engaging and collaborating with Manitobans for global sustainability. As a coordinating structure, we promote public awareness of international issues, foster member interaction, and administer funds for international development.
MCIC, on behalf of the Inter-Council Network, is launching an innovation initiative named FIT – Fund for Innovation and Transformation/le Fonds pour l’innovation et la transformation, to test innovative solutions to development challenges. Its purpose is to advance the effective use of and learn from innovative solutions that will improve the lives, equality and empowerment of women and girls, their families and communities in the Global South.
ICN is seeking a qualified bilingual individual to join this exciting new initiative in the role of Communications & Public Engagement Specialist.
Reporting to the Director of Innovation, Fund for Innovation and Transformation (FIT) and working closely with the FIT team, the Communications & Public Engagement Specialist will be responsible for implementing communication strategies for the FIT program to internal and external stakeholders and to the public. This position will also work with the Program Officer, Gender & Public Engagement to support FIT’s Public Engagement activities.
This is a full-time bilingual position based in Winnipeg, Manitoba for a term of up to five (5) years.
- Post-secondary degree in a related field such as communications, journalism, marketing, and/or education
- 2+ years of relevant work experience
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills in both English & French, including the ability to prepare reports
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work cooperatively with others to set and achieve goals
- Cross-cultural and gender sensitivity
- Commitment to MCIC’s Development Principles
- Effective time management abilities and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (including Word, Excel, Outlook & PowerPoint), Adobe Creative Suite (including Acrobat DC, Creative Cloud & Photoshop)
- Experience managing website content and social media platforms (including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube & Hootsuite)
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced work environment
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- 1+ years working in an international development context, and/or for a non-profit organization
- Knowledge of Canadian SMOs
- Knowledge of Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy and the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals
- Understanding of a human rights-based approach to development
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Use storytelling to creatively communicate the work of FIT, ICN, SMOs and innovators in the development sector in both English and French
- Draft and edit written communications materials including news releases, blogs, presentations, newsletters, reports and articles to share with the public and the international development sector
- Coordinate social media and website updates and initiatives
- Compile and analyze communication reports and statistics
- Offer communication support and advice to FIT management and staff
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders, including other provincial and regional councils, the sector and the public
- Assist with preparing reports for Global Affairs Canada, MCIC and ICN
- Working with the Program Officer, Gender/Public Engagement, assist in developing a Communications and Public Engagement Strategy for FIT
- Represent MCIC and FIT at community activities and events as needed
- Other duties as required
- 5 hours per week
- Office environment on site at MCIC in Winnipeg, Manitoba. In exceptional cases, the incumbent may be permitted to work remotely from another city and/or
- May be required to work evenings, weekends or additional hours to accommodate activities such as meetings or FIT events
Position: Full-time term
Salary: $42,000-$47,000 plus benefits
Application Deadline: March 13, 2019 or until filled
Start Date: As soon as possible
Please submit a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 13, 2019. Please indicate in the subject line the title of the position you are applying for.