- This event has passed.
CAIDP 2019 Conference Development Cooperation in an Age of Disruption: Grappling with Change and Complexity
October 7 @ 8:00 am - October 8 @ 5:00 pm EDT
In this era of disruption, how is Canada mitigating risks and addressing challenges to our traditional ways in development cooperation? How is the Canadian international development community responding to the new world of multiple development narratives (and distorting information), political, trade and economic disruptions, and the crowding out of inclusiveness? How relevant is aid in its current form for meeting the SDGs and tackling inequalities, fragility, climate change, women’s economic empowerment, and ensuring no one is left behind? Is Canada’s FIAP approach able to effectively meet the complex challenge of disruptive development? Is some additional positive disruption called for from Canadian professionals like us to make a bigger difference?
Invitation to participate in a development dialogue
The 2019 Conference will be held on 7, 8 of October 2019 in Ottawa at the conference centre of the International Development Research Centre (IDRC). The aim of the conference is to provide a venue for engagement between CAIDP members and development practitioners in Canada and abroad around the challenges confronting international development today, and of opportunities to address these issues to contribute to positive global change.
The conference will cover five themes:
1. Global Development and the disruption factors: a scan of new actors, shifting paradigms; digital disruptors and impact of climate change
2. Financing the Sustainable Development Goals: a review of merging financing modalities
3. Canadian Engagement in International Development: an update on the FIAP after two years of implementation
4. Partnerships and New Opportunities: an exploration of new ways of working in international development
5. Practical Skills and Tools for the Times: networking, performance management, business with GAC; and managing risks.
Outside of the plenary and workshop sessions, you will have a chance to meet face to face with leaders in government, civil society and the private sector. As we move closer to the Conference, the names of resource people will be posted along with meeting times. As well, we will make it as easy as possible for you to meet fellow conference participants. We want each of you to go away enriched with insight and with new contacts.